In accordance with Article 4 of the Research and Innovation Promotion Act of 2012, the federal government recognises the SAMS as a research funding institution. The SAMS does not have sufficient financial resources to provide funding for major research projects. Funding for these projects is provided by the Swiss National Science Foundation.
The SAMS promotes research in the following areas through various funds or funding programmes, thanks primarily to collaboration with private foundations:
- Young physicians interested in research: MD-PhD programme
- Young talents in clinical research: funding programme
- Palliative care: funding programme
- Health services research: funding programme (recently completed)
- Medical imaging: Helmut Hartweg Fund
- Biomedical ethics: Käthe Zingg-Schwichtenberg Fund
- Neurosciences: Robert Bing Prize, Théodore Ott Fund, Théodore Ott Prize
- Scientific Events: funding scheme (see details in German or French)
All applications must be registered online. Detailed information and registration form can be found on the page of the relevant fund or funding programme, using the menu on the left-hand side.